Wednesday, 13 August 2008

Doh! I forgot about my trip home!















Ok, going home.............


It was kinda strange, i was really amped to be seeing my family again but the country felt less like home than i thought it would.


I saw some good mates which is always fun, but to be honest i was just as happy hanging out at their places and chatting as i was going öut.






It was being home and talking with my family and sister and her boys that made the trip so special.


It was a short trip and i should have stayed for longer but i was wanting to get back to Cambodia and see May (yes, i am much happier when im with someone who cares about me, go figure!)





Highlights?



  1. Seeing the faces of people close to me, when they realised it was me walking through the airport door.

  2. Eating home cooked food from NZild

  3. Seeing my Nephews, and realising they are growing up well fast, and into pretty cool kids.

  4. Knowing that i can come back to NZ and many of the things i love about it will still be here, even if the people might move on

  5. Cheese, yes thats right eating good cheese is a god given kiwi right (i miss it over here, its here but i cant afford it, oh and its French)

  6. Takeaways for a day (yes im guilty)

  7. TV channels all in the language i speak, i miss the history channel (and yes im a geek)


Things that came to me while i was back;




  1. NZ is often a dark and drab place (come on people stop wearing BLUE/BLACK/GREY) and for the cynical amongst you yes i do realise im wearing all of those colours in the pic above!

  2. Despite the cost of living going up and up NZ is still a pretty good place to live

  3. Public health is a good thing, it has huge shortcomings but as a safety net it is vital

  4. I love watching the AB's play (being overseas makes singing the anthem a bit more important!

  5. I want to come and tour NZ, ive never seen Queenstown! or the West Coast and yet ive been to Sapa, seen Haolong Bay, gone snorkelling in the gulf of Thailand and swum in the Mekong.

  6. I want to find a way to do all the things i perhaps should have done in my late 20's early 30's ( a dollar short and an hour late as a moto to live by aint so good)

  7. I owned more shoes and Tshirts than any human being ever needed, and yet it was the samples of Hilltribe cloth that i bought in Laos that mean more to me now


So that is my recollections on NZ, not much really. It was lovely being back and i intend to go back and visit my homeland properly.

Kia ora katoa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Uncle Matt - cool pic of us on the port hills - there was snow up there last week - we went and played in it which was fun.
We are off to Samoa tomorrow for 9 days YAY!!
We will send you a postcard.
Mum laughed and laughed when she read about your class of little kids.
Say hi to May and your class
xxxx

samesame said...

We care about you Matt! And yes I too lold at your class description. K. Oh and PS good to see you picking up on the blogging again.