Thursday, 28 June 2007

Why did the Lao chicken cross the road?


To turn our motorbike journey to the historic plain of jars into something else entirely. Animals and stray objects are a fairly frequent obstacle on any asian road but today they got me.
As im writing this im not too badly bashed up, i was driving and Rosie was on the back taking pics, we braked and had to swerve to miss a chicken and bang we were on the ground sliding. i tried to stay on top of the bike but the combined weight of rosie and me meant we went over the handlebars.
My beautiful and hiterto untouched face now has a series of scars in new places, the first being my right eyebrow and the second being my right lip, my elbows and knees are scrapped up pretty good but in reality we were lucky, Rosie thank god has only a broken camera and a knuckle scrape.
We got the bike going and bleeding drove back to a Lao military hospital that we had seen earlier, much excitement from the staff and they patched me up pretty well.
I made sure i was staunch so the Lao couldnt tell stories about the wimpy falang!
I have a host of drugs to take to stop infection and i will take it easy over the next week (i know i will feel a whole lot worse tomorrow! the aching rib is sure to make sleep interesting)
We are still planning to leave to go Nth towards the border with Vietnam im going to visit Dien Bien Phu (what a history geek!)
I will send in a claim form for the damages and medical costs (kinda ate a chunk of the Kip i had for this part of the trip but cant be helped)
Not a great end to what had been a very cool time here in Phonsavan (last nite we met a group of guitar playing Lao guys who showed us how Lao party, then we gatecrashed a party in a restaurant and had fun dancing with an assortment of Lao (many ages and genders) to the stirring vocals and keyboard of the Lao "wedding singer". Very cultural indeed.
I will post some pics and stuff on the blog soon (im starting to ache all over now, so its off to bed and rest for the night, off to the early morning bus tomorrow!)

1 comment:

Rach & Alex said...

Oh darlin. Jeepers. Hope you feelin better. Motorbikes are crap - where was your helmet??